Do you need to travel to Dubai or any other emirate of the United Arab Emirates (UAE)? Kenyans need a visa to travel to Dubai for business or pleasure. Visas are not issued at UAE points of entry. You must therefore apply for and get your visa prior to making travel arrangements. Dubai is the largest emirate in UAE and is regarded as the financial capital of the Arab world. It is estimated that there are over 40,000 Kenyans living and working in the UAE. Thousands more take business trips to the UAE each month.
Types of UAE Visas
There are two main types of UAE visas:
- 96 hours visa - this is meant for people in transit or those who intend to stay in Dubai for less than four days.The fee is AED* 200 (4,747.96 KES at the time of writing)
- 14 day visa - this is the most common type sought by Kenyans. It is issued to people who wish to spend no more than 14 days in Dubai. The fee is AED 220 (5,222.76 KES)
- Tourist visit visa - It is issued to people who wish to spend more than 14 days in the UAE Dubai. It is valid for 60 days and is renewable for up to 90 days. The fee for a visit visa is AED 100 (2,378 KES ) and a visa delivery fee of AED 10. Your hotel , apartment or travel agent may also levy up to AED 50 in supplementary charges. The renewal fee is AED 500.
- Multiple entry visa - You must have a relationship with a reputable local business establishment or multinational and be a frequent visitor to the UAE in order to qualify for a multiple entry visa. However, you must first apply for the visit visa and travel to the UAE because you can only apply for this type of visa within the UAE. The visa is valid for six months and the you are allowed to stay in the country for 30 days on each visit. The fee is AED 1,000.
Take note that the fees above are subject to change at any time and that the actual fee you pay may be much higher because travel agents and tour operators may add a markup to the fee. Check the actual amount in Kenya shillings using the Google Currency Converter page.
Dubai Visa Application Requirements
- Your Kenyan passport must be valid for six months after your planned departure date from the UAE.
- You need a sponsor. A sponsor can be your travel agent, hotel in UAE or someone already living in UAE.
- Coloured scan of the passport detail pages (last two)
- Coloured Passport Photo size 4.3 cms x 5.5 cms against a white background
- Financial records to demonstrate you can support yourself while in UAE. Three months bank statement or payslip will suffice. Alternatively, your sponsor can provide the financial records.
Where to Apply In Kenya
- Visit a travel agent. Most travel agents in Nairobi and Mombasa offer Dubai visa processing services.
- UAE Airlines such as Emirates and Etihad offer online UAE visa services.
- A family member or relative resident in the UAE can apply for a visa on your behalf.
Tips and Warnings
- Do not extend your stay beyond your visa duration. The penalty for overstaying is AED 100 per day.
- Public consumption of alcohol is prohibited in the UAE.
- The official religion is Islam.
- The official language is Arabic.
Dubai Visa Resources