Learn how to use a Huawei modem in Ubuntu Linux
Safaricom and Airtel both offer Huawei USB dongles. This solution works with most dongles including the popular E160 and E220 modems. Windows users don't have a problem installing mobile partner; modem's are plug and play devices that come with the software so you simply plug it into a USB port and follow the prompts.
In Ubuntu Linux, however, it's a different kettle of fish. Plugging in the modem doesn't trigger an auto-run. But, its actually quite simple to install Huawei Mobile Partner in Linux.
Take note that these instructions have been tested out on Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr). You must have administrator privileges before you can install the Huawei modem in Ubuntu Linux.
- Download the installation files here. Save them to your desktop folder or anywhere else you prefer.
- Open a terminal window using Ctrl+Alt+T
- Next, type cd Desktop in the terminal
- Type unzip mp21.zip
- Next, go to the mp21 direcory by typing the command, cd mp21
- To install, type ./install
- Plug in your device and mobile partner will run automatically as shown in the screen capture below.
Tips & Warnings
- You don't need to install Huawei Mobile Partner to connect to the Internet in Ubuntu 14.04. You can set it up manually in the Network Connections by enabling Mobile Broadband.