A clickable table of contents is a useful way to navigate your MS Word document (2007 and 2010). It can be particularly helpful where your document contains several chapters/sections. However, before you can build a clickable table of contents, you need to format your document using the Styles feature. This is because MS Word uses Styles to build the table of contents.
- Open your Microsoft word document and place your cursor at the point you want to insert the Table of Contents. This is ideally at the beginning of the document, just after your main document title.
- On the ‘References’ tab click on ‘Table of Contents’ and then click ‘Insert Table of Contents’
- Now select the options you want to apply on your table and click ‘OK’ as shown below.
- Select the text you want included in your table of contents
- On the ‘Home’ tab click on the heading style that you want to apply to the selected text e.g. ‘heading 1’, ‘Heading 2’ etc.
- Right click the table and select ‘Update Table of Contents’. Click on the option ‘Update Entire Table’ and then click Ok.