If you are using Outlook with an Exchange account, all is not lost, you can recall an email provided several other factors are in your favor.
How to Recall a Message in Outlook - Instructions
- Go to your sent items folder.
- Open the message you want to recall.
- In the ribbon, ensure the Message tab is selected.
- Click Actions in the move group and from the dropdown, select Recall This Message.
- A new window will open up allowing to decide how you want the recall handled. The options include:
- Delete unread copies of the message - this completely removes the email from the recipient’s inbox.
- Delete unread copies and replace with a new message - the replaces the original email with another
- Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient - This lets know the result of the recall attempt via email.
Requirements for Outlook Email Recall Success
- You and the recipient must be using Microsoft Exchange email accounts on the same server.
Tips and Warnings
- This does not work on emails sent outside the exchange server, for example, to a Gmail or Yahoo account.
- There is no guarantee of success even if you are on the same Exchange server. If the email has already been read, the recall won't succeed.
- This does not work if the recipient is viewing emails using a different program other than outlook, for example, an Outlook web application or mobile application.
- As an alternative to recall, you can instead choose to delay emails. This is possible by going to Rules and Alerts in your File Tab. Set a New rule in the E-mail rules tab to defer the delivery of an email by a number of minutes.
How to Recall an Email in Gmail