On 13th July 2017, Visa in Kenya announced free mobile money transfer through mVisa. mVisa is a simple, secure and cost-free way to make mobile payments.
Key Highlights of mVisa
- You access money from your bank account on your mobile phone.
- Payments come directly from your bank account and are secured by your bank and Visa Card.
- There are no transaction costs when making an mVisa payment.
- The concept has been made possible through Visa's alliance with partner banks in Kenya.
- Merchants do not have to invest in expensive point of sale (POS) infrastructure as mVisa gives them the freedom to accept bank to bank payments.
- You no longer need to wait for your cash to move to mobile money then wait to read the paybill number to sort out your bills.
Registering on mVisa
- Register for mobile banking with your bank. Your bank must be a partner bank.
- Download your bank's mobile banking app or upgrade your existing mobile banking app.
- Open the app or access your bank's USSD platform and select mVisa.
- Set an mPIN, if required.
- Select your desired Visa card and link it
- Open your mobile banking app.
- Select mVisa.
- Scan the merchant QR code
- Enter amount if required. Or, in case you are paying a bill, the amount you owe may automatically appear.
- Confirm payment.
- Receive payment confirmation
- For USSD, simply access your bank's USSD platform, enter merchant ID, amount and make payment.